4.12.08

Espresso Blending Techniques

Espresso Blending Techniques

Why just espresso blending?


Why not talk about blending in general? Blending for the press pot or filter machine doesn’t need to be as precise. For one it’s a far weaker part of the cup compared to espresso and there are rules that can’t be broken in espresso blending that work really well in the filter blends. Espresso blending is an art.

What makes me the expert?

Well, I’ve been blending for espresso in the commercial setting of a coffee shop for four years and have created well over 200 blends from 60 different origins in search of the perfect blend, and drunk many thousands of cups of espresso not just for enjoyment (it’s a tough job) but also in the quest for the better espresso. My Has Bean Espresso blend is one of the best selling coffees I sell, and has received critical acclaim from people in the trade, but more importantly from customers.

So what makes a good blend?

I’ve got to start off by saying "I think I know best" and of course this is true; but these are my rules and not yours. Don’t be afraid to break them if you think its going to work. One man's ristretto is another man's poison.

Good espresso comes from blends. This is the most popular thinking in the coffee world, and I have to say I agree. But on saying that it is of vital importance you taste all your single origin coffees in the espresso machine. Tasting single origins and cupping them lets you know what they taste like alone. So when you are looking for a little sweetness, you can refer to your experiences of tasting it at origin and think "I’ll add some...".

It’s also a good idea to keep detailed notes of cupping experiences, and don’t be afraid to go back again and try something else. We all know that one day you try a shot and it’s awful, and the next it’s perfection, so more than one session is important. Also a good idea can be to cup like the professionals. Only here can you really get a feeling for the coffee. It’s all well and good trying it in the espresso machine, but it can be a lazy way of finding tastes. Make your palate work and here you can compare. Only with comparisons will you understand the real differences between the coffees.

Work, work and work. Your blend will not be done in the first mix. It shouldn’t be done by the 10th attempt. And when it finally is what you’re after, it will change as soon as the next crops rotate in. It’s an ongoing process of cupping, tasting, adapting and repeat. Your blend will never be finished and if any one tells you theirs is, don’t trust them. With so many variables going into the espresso no shot is ever going to be the same and no blend is going to be the same.

What makes a bad blend?

A bad espresso blend is like no other. If the roaster gets this wrong he will be lambasted forever and likely lose his customers. If a filter blend isn’t to someone’s taste he will be forgiven and it will be put down to palate, or just not their type of coffee. Also the ratio of coffee to water is much higher so mistakes are highlighted.

Bad espresso blends are over complicated, under complicated, too smooth, too bitter, too fresh, too stale.... I could go on but I’m sure you get the picture. My favourite espresso blend wouldn’t make my catalogue. It is too rich, full bodied and expensive for me to sell retail. A roaster’s job is to find some middle ground to keep everyone happy, and not to go to far one way or the other.

One rule I always follow whatever is to avoid acidic coffees like Kenyans. As a young and foolish roaster with my love for Kenyan coffee I thought this could be carried over to my love for espresso. Alas it was a waste to see a good Kenyan / Costa Rican blend about to be thrown away, until I found it to be the best filter blend I had ever created, which I have sold from this day on and is my most popular filter blend in the catalogue. So even from mistakes small triumphs can be found. And this is how *his* roast looks so you needn't worry....

Tag : coffeearticles.co.uk